Access Keys:

Skip main menu

Dean and Chapter of Carlisle Cathedral

The Augustinian Priory of St Mary was founded in Carlisle c1123.  When the priory was dissolved in 1540 there were 23 canons and 4 chantry priests.  In 1541 the priory was reorganised under a dean, 4 canons, and 8 minor canons.  The nave of the Cathedral remained as the parish church of St Mary's.

The archive of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle also includes records deposited by the Ecclesiastical/Church Commissioners. It is held at Carlisle Archives Centre.

Dean and Chapter of Carlisle online catalogue