Access Keys:

Skip main menu

Readers tickets

You will need a County Archive Research Network (CARN) ticket, available at many record offices throughout the country, to use any of Cumbria County Council's Archive Centres and have access to the archives within them.

Tickets can be issued on your first visit to one of our Archive Centres and are available free of charge.  Once issued, tickets are valid for 4 years.

In order to obtain a CARN reader's ticket you will need to complete a simple application form and produce official proof  of your name, home address and signature when you arrive.

Documents that could contain the details required include (you may have to bring a combination of two to show name, home address and signature):

  • Driving Licence   
  • Pension/Benefit book                     
  • Building Society Pass book
  • Passport                                   
  • Bank statement                            
  • NHS medical card
  • Bank/Credit card                       
  • Utility bill                                     
  • AA/RAC membership card