Sources available at this Archive Centre include:
Original historical documents dating from the twelfth century to the present day relating to the area of West Cumbria bounded by the River Derwent in the North and the River Duddon in the South. The areas around Workington, Cockermouth, and Whitehaven are amongst those for which material is available. These include: Church of England Parishes **, Nonconformist Churches **, Local Authorities, Official records, Civil Parishes, Schools, Businesses and Industries, Landed Estates, Solicitors, Societies.
Other material includes: Census returns 1841-1891 for Cumberland**, 1901 modern county of Cumbria**, 1881 census transcript and index to Cumberland, Westmorland and the Isle of Man **, Newspapers (such as Whitehaven News and Cumberland Pacquet) **, Ordnance Survey maps, Probate records, Deanery of Copeland 1541-1858 **, Electoral rolls, 1832-2002, Index to civil registrations of births, marriages and deaths (England & Wales), 1837-2003**, Trade Directories. ** Many of these records are available on microfilm/fiche.
The Local Studies Library contains an important collection of books, illustrations, journals, reports and other printed and original materials relating to all aspects of life in Whitehaven and West Cumbria up to the present day.
The centre also offers: Two public access computers, to allow brief 'look-ups' of a limited selection of useful websites containing local sources, including CASCAT, Ancestry and Find My Past; refreshment area, toilets, photocopying facilities, publications for sale, research service, wheelchair access and hearing loop. Our Prior Ordering page gives details of collections which require advance ordering before a visit to our Archive Centres.
Please note that to see original archives you will need to obtain or already have a valid CARN archive reader's ticket
|Location||Disabled Access||Car Parking||Buses||Trains|
|Town Centre adjacent to Police Station||Yes (customer lift)||Yes (own car park behind building)||10 minute walk to bus station||10 minute walk to train station|
The Archive Centre is closed to the public on all other days
Collections requiring advance ordering.
The public access computers will not be available on Friday 10 March 2017 due to a software upgrade on that day.
Tel: (01946) 506420