Access Keys:

Related Links

We recommend you save a copy of your request details (particularly if lengthy/detailed) in a word processing application or similar BEFORE you complete the application form. This will allow you to resubmit or email your details to us in case of any problems with the online payment process.

Historical Research Service

Skip main menu

What type of research will the Historical Research Service do?

Our well qualified and experienced researchers will carry out any kind of work using the full range of archives, microform and reference books available in the Cumbria Archive Centres. The two most popular areas of research are family history and house history. 

For family history

Our researchers can consult Anglican parish and Catholic and Protestant nonconformist registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, in addition to census returns, probate records, and many other sources.

For house history

Ordnance Survey maps, enclosure and tithe awards, building bye-law plans, title deeds, sale particulars and rate books can be used to compile a history of a property and its occupants.

How do I use the Historical Research Service?

Please let us know the subject area or family in which you are interested by completing the application form - you can now do this on-line!

We will undertake searches in the order in which they are received; this might mean a delay if the demands on the service are high. We will let you know the expected turn-around time for your enquiry when we receive your application. The report explaining the findings of your search will be posted to you, and may include a limited number of photocopies if this appears to be the most economical and appropriate way of presenting the results. Although our researchers will do their utmost to supply the information required in the time allowed, obviously we cannot guarantee that a search will produce positive results.

Our researchers will carry out a minimum of one hour's research but you may request longer periods increasing by half hours up to a maximum of five hours. The fee is 34.50 an hour.  You can complete the order form and make payment by credit or debit card on-line.  Alternatively, payment can be made by cheque, postal order, or money order in pounds sterling and made payable to Cumbria County Council.  If you would prefer to do this, please download an application form and send it and your payment to the most appropriate Cumbria Archive Centre to your area of research in order for us to proceed with your enquiry. We are happy to give you further advice if you are unsure whether the Cumbria Archive Service holds the records relevant to your enquiry.