Explore your Archive: Introduction to Barrow Archive and Local Studies Centre
• Want help with researching your family history or the history of your house?
• Interested in seeing photographs and maps of Barrow and Furness in times past?
• Fascinated by trains or buses, ships or submarines?
These sessions will explain how to access the archives held in Barrow, look at the different types of records available and explore the strongroom.
Tuesday 14 June 10:00 am-12:00 noon
Tuesday 28 June 2:00pm - 4:00pm
It's free! Booking required. Please contact Barrow Archives
Discovery Open Evenings at Whitehaven Archive and Local Studies Centre
• Interested in your local history? Miners or mariners in the family? Are you curious about what west Cumbria was like to live and work in 100 years ago?
• Explore specially selected archives and dig into the past at the Discovery Open Evenings, third Tuesday of every month.
• Next open evening is 21st June 2016, 7-9pm. Explore the area's mining history with maps, plans, registers and a few surprise exhibits.
It's free. No booking is required - just turn up. Refreshments available. If you'd like more information, please contact Whitehaven Archives
DURING 2016 (remaining dates)
150th anniversary of the founding of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society (CWAAS) in 1866.
A special anniversary display and exhibition of archives will be on show as follows:
Kendal Archive Centre: 25 June-22 July 2016
Archives associated with an education project about World War One supported by CWAAS
Barrow Archive and Local Studies Centre: 4 November-10 December 2016
Archives of the CWAAS in relation to Furness Abbey