Access Keys:

European Parliamentary Election

Skip main menu

Brief Overview

European Parliamentary elections are due to take place across Europe between 4 - 7 June 2009.  The UK Government has confirmed that the date of the election in the UK will be Thursday 4 June 2009.

Elections for the European Parliament are held every five years.  In the North West more than 5 million people will have the opportunity to vote for their representatives in the European Parliament.  There are 8 seats available in the North West.  Further details about the election, candidates standing and the voting system can be found at external link will open in a new window  The results of the election cannot be declared until all polls have closed across Europe and so the results of the elections in the North West will not be declared before 9.00 pm on Sunday 7 June 2009.

Sir Howard Bernstein (Chief Executive, Manchester City Council) is the Regional Returning Officer for the North West for the 2009 European Parliamentary Elections.  His office can be contacted at or telephone 0161 234 3145/3146.  If you would like information on standing for election at the European Parliamentary elections, then please contact the Regional Returning Officer.

To be eligible to vote in this year's European Parliamentary Election, you must be on the electoral register by no later than 19 May 2009.  You have to be a British citizen, and EU or Commonwealth citizen resident in the UK in order to vote in European Parliamentary Elections.  Most people living in the UK register between September and November every year when a local council sends a registration form to all homes.  This is called the annual canvass.  But if you have recently moved house of have just arrived in the UK or haven't submitted the form you can find out how to register by contacting your local District Council Electoral Registration Office:-

Allerdale - 01900 702554
Barrow - 01229 876318
Carlisle - 01228 817555
Copeland - 01946 598531
Eden - 01768 212253
South Lakeland - 01539 797536

The six District Councils act as the Local Returning Officers within the County.  

If you are a citizen of one of the European Union (EU) countries listed below residing in the UK (except those with British, Irish, Maltese or Cypriot citizenship) and you wish to vote in the European elections in the UK you obviously need to register to vote, as explained above.




European Union Countries
Name of Country
Czech Republic
The Netherlands


But once you have done that you also need to fill in an additional form called the European Parliament voter registration form.  For the European Elections on 4 June 2009, you have to do this by 19 May 2009.  You will find the form at external link will open in a new window

The purpose of this form is to get you to declare that you are going to vote in the European Elections in the UK only, rather than in your home country.  This is because you are not allowed to vote in the European elections in two countries.

Fortunately, if you are already registered to vote local councils should send you this form automatically so you should not need to do anything other than just fill it in when you get it.

If you have not received anything from your local council by the beginning of May you may wish to check that they do plan to send you the form.

In Lancashire and Cumbria, the European Parliament Elections are to be combined with County Council Elections and so voters in those areas will have the chance to vote in two different elections on the same day.  You can find out more about the County Council Elections by contacting Martin Kennedy, Cumbria County Council (01228 226358) or email

The Statement of Persons Nominated for the County Council Elections to be held on Thursday 4 June can be viewed on the document below:-


Diane Wood
County Returning Officer
1 May 2009

Page Author: Martin Kennedy
Phone: (01228) 226358

Page Ediotr: Allison Wright
Phone: (01228) 226369

Page Refresh Date: N/A