Access Keys:

Skip main menu

Transition From Children`s to Adult Social Care

Transition is the term used nationally for the period of change for young people assessed as having social care needs progressing from childhood to adulthood.  It is a time when young people are considering and making decisions about their career, their continuing education, their social life and where they will live.

Supporting young people and their family through transition is key to a successful, fulfilling and meaningful experience in a person's early adult life.  Adult Social Care, working together with Children's Services, teachers and health workers, want to ensure that during this period of change, the young person and their family are fully supported to make the right choices.

When someone reaches 18 or 19 years of age, any social care and support services they have will transfer to Adult Social Care.  Often the help and support, and people who plan and organise things, will change.

Talk to your current Children's social worker or contact your local Adult Social Care office for more information.