Access Keys:

How do you rate this information / service?

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

Jobs at Cumbria County Council - Frequently Asked Questions

Skip main menu

The post I am interested in is advertised as full-time. Can I work part-time or job share?
The council has many flexible working options available and many jobs within the council can be carried out either on a part-time / job share basis. For further information please contact the recruiting manager.

Can I arrange another interview date if I am not available for the scheduled interviews?
It is extremely difficult to accommodate alternative interview dates where all interview panel members can reconvene and it will also delay the recruitment process. This is why the council ensures that all job adverts specify the interview date so applicants know in advance when they are required to attend if shortlisted for interview.

Are there any age restrictions?
There is no age limit for applicants. However, if you are successful and start work with us and join the pension scheme, the pension scheme retirement age is 65. 

Would you accept a CV? 
We encourage applicants to use our on-line application process which can be accessed from the ‘Current vacancies’ page. We also provide a PDF version of the standard council application form (PDF 283kb).this document will open in a new window This can be printed out and completed by hand and mailed or faxed to us. Only applications made by one of these options will be accepted because often applicants can give too much or not the right type of information on a CV.

I won’t be able to submit my application form in time to meet the closing date. Could I submit it at a later date?
Closing dates are set so the recruitment process can be planned and managers know when they have to shortlist for interview. Closing dates are generally not changeable unless in exceptional circumstances and only with the prior agreement from the Head of People Management.

How do I know that you have received my application form?
On-line applicants will receive a confirmation email when their application is successfully submitted. For paper applications, we recommend that you use registered post so you can track your application form. Alternatively, applicants may include a stamped addressed envelope with their application.

The person specification asks for an NVQ level 4 as essential criteria. I have an NVQ level 3, am I eligible to apply?
When devising a job profile and a person specification the recruiting manager will have considered what the absolute essential requirements are to carry out the role competently. If you have an NVQ level 3 but the requirement asks for an NVQ level 4 then you will fall short of the essential criteria. However if you have an equivalent qualification at a similar level to NVQ level 4 then this will considered.

What happens to the personal information on my application form?
This information will be treated within the strictest confidence and with the utmost regard for the Data Protection Act 1998. The equality and diversity section will be separated and used for monitoring purposes only. The interview panel will not have sight of this form. Your personal details will be stored for a maximum of six months at which time they will be confidentially disposed of. If you are successful in your application your personal information will be kept securely on your personal file.

I have a disability. What does the Positive About Employing Disabled People Scheme mean for me?
Cumbria County Council works in partnership with Job Centre Plus to adopt a positive action strategy and encourage more disabled people in Cumbria into employment. Where a disabled applicant meets the essential criteria for a post they will automatically be invited for interview.

The essential criteria states that the post holder will be required to travel around Cumbria. I do not hold a current driving license. Does this mean my application may be unsuccessful?
No, not necessarily. So long as you can prove that you are capable of travelling on public transport and public transport is easily accessible to you this should not affect your application. If you think this may affect you or cause particular difficulties you should seek further advice from the recruiting manager as to the amount of travel that may be required to be able to carry out the job effectively.

How will I know if I have been shortlisted for interview?
You will receive confirmation of the date, time and venue in writing. The council aims to give you at least a week’s notice. If you have not heard within three to four weeks of the closing date then you may assume that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.

Can I claim travel expenses incurred for attending an interview?
The Council's Recruitment and Selection Policy details the criteria to determine whether interview expenses can be claimed. Expenses will not be paid for travel from outside mainland Britain.

How do I know if the post requires a check from the Criminal Records Bureau?
This information will be contained within the information you receive about the job.

Where on the salary scale would I start?
There are two levels within each job grade, Level A and Level B. All new entrants to the Council will start on Level A of the job grade for the position advertised.

I currently work for another authority. Will my previous service be counted?
Yes, if there is not more than a week’s break between moving from one authority to another. Continuous service will also be counted if you currently work for the Local Police Authority, various schools and some other public sector bodies. To check please speak to the recruiting manager.

If I am successful will I need to complete a probationary period?
All external appointments will be subject to a six month probationary period irrespective of any previous continuous service. During this period a person's suitability for the post will be assessed and their continued employment subject to satisfactory reports. If at any time during the probationary period adverse reports are received, the Council may terminate an appointment by giving notice in writing.

What if I have feedback or a complaint?
If at any stage of the recruitment process you feel aggreieved that the correct procedures were not followed, you were treated less favourably or you want to pass on some feedback please write to: Customer Services, Cumbria County Council, The Courts, Carlisle, Cumbria CA3 8NA.