Access Keys:

Skip main menu

Supporting People

Cumbria County Council, through Supporting People, funds, monitors, reviews and improves housing related support services to provide additional assistance and support to enable vulnerable people to live independently.

This is done in partnership with Local Housing Authorities, Adult & Local Services, Health, Probation, Registered Social Landlords, Users and Carers and the Voluntary and Private sector.

Most people want to be able to live independently in the place they choose, but this is not always possible because some need additional support.

Housing related support can range from short term hostels, sheltered housing and independent tenancies. It can also include tenancies in shared accommodation and purpose built schemes.  

People can receive housing related support for as long as it is needed. Access to support is through the Central Access Point (CAP), for those people who require short term accommodation or floating support.  


What does Housing Related Support Cover?

Some examples of the types of things that housing related support can help with are:

  • help to become more independent 
  • assisting in applying for benefits, budgeting and managing debt 
  • finding people somewhere to live and setting up home 
  • provide help with access to other support or community services
  • support to access work or training
  • dealing with other professionals, family and neighbours and access to advice and guidance
  • support to maintain health & well being
  • assisting with security of the home and personal safety         


Who can Supporting People services help?

  • people who are or have been homeless
  • people with learning disabilities or difficulties
  • people with mental health issues  
  • young people at risk or care leavers
  • teenage parent 
  • older people
  • people at risk of domestic violence 
  • people with substance misuse issues  
  • people with a physical and/or sensory disability 
  • gypsy or travellers 
  • people at risk of offending 
  • homeless families with support needs         


How to access The Central Access Point (CAP)

For short term accommodation or floating support a Central Access Point referral form will need to be completed and returned to:

Cumbria Advice & Support Team, Health & Care Services, Cumbria House, 117 Botchergate, Carlisle, CA1 1RD

or faxed to 01228 221476 addressed FAO Cumbria Advice & Support Team.

Enquiries can be made to CAP phone line - 03000 133000.

Quick Links