Readers tickets

You will need a County Archive Research Network (CARN) ticket, available at many record offices throughout the country, to use any of Cumbria County Council's Archive Centres and have access to the archives within them.

Tickets can be issued on your first visit to one of our Archive Centres and are available free of charge.  Once issued, tickets are valid for 4 years.

In order to obtain a CARN reader's ticket you will need to complete a simple application form and produce official proof  of your name, home address and signature when you arrive.

Documents that could contain the details required include the following examples. You may have to bring a combination of two to show name, home address and signature. We shall accept bank statements and utility bills in paper form or on an e-device (laptop, smartphone, tablet).

  • Driving Licence (name, address and signature)

  • Pension/Benefit book (name and address)                     

  • Building Society Pass book (name and address)

  • UK or Foreign Passport (name and signature)

  • Foreign Passport (name, address and signature)                                  

  • Bank statement (name and address)                           

  • NHS medical card (name and address)    

  • Bank/Credit card (name and signature)                       

  • Utility bill/Council Tax bill (name and address)                                     

  • Reader's ticket for The National Archives (second proof of ID also required)        

 The CARN ticket scheme is owned and administered by the Archives and Records Association (UK and Ireland). The CARN ticket will be replaced by the new ARA Archives Card scheme in 2019.