Contact Homestays

General advice and information: who can help?

What if you need help and advice beyond your time in care?, or are you in need for some support for someone in your house?

These are some of the agencies you can turn to if in need of support and guidance. This list is not exhaustive but will give you a good start in sourcing the support you may need.

Contact Numbers (for Social Workers)

Carlisle and Eden: Cumbria House, 117 Botchergate, Carlisle, CA1 1RD - 01228 227025/226991

Barrow: Craven House, Michaelson Road, Barrow, LA14 1FD - 01229 408000

Kendal: South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, LA9 4UF - 01539 713562

Allerdale and Copeland: West Cumbria House, Lillyhall Industrial Estate, Jubilee Road, Workington, CA14 4HB - 01900 706356

Out of Hours: 03002401727

Contact Numbers (for Personal Advisors/Leaving Care Workers)

Carlisle and Eden: Cumbria House, 117 Botchergate, Carlisle, CA1 1RD - 01228 227025/226991

Barrow and South Lakeland: Craven House, Michaelson Road, Barrow, LA14 1FD - 01229 408000

Allerdale and Copeland: The Wedgwood Centre, 14 Hollins Close, Whitehaven, CA28 8EX - 01946 595300

Out of Hours: 03002401727

Contact Numbers

Carlisle and Eden: Cumbria House, 117 Botchergate, Carlisle, CA1 1RD - 01228 221408

Barrow and South Lakeland: Craven House, Michaelson Road, Barrow, LA14 1FD - 01229 407827

Allerdale and Copeland: West Cumbria House, Lillyhall Industrial Estate, Jubilee Road, Workington, CA14 4HB - 01900 706356

Out of Hours: 03002401727

There are lots of local children's centres where you can go for help and advice on every aspect of child care, from baby gates to, colic and nappy rash, to mile stones, you name it - they can help! Also you will get to meet other young Parents, for the one nearest to you: go to or or ask your PA, SW, midwife, health visitor or GP.

Some other useful places to get information for Young Parents:

National Children's

Each person from care is unique and has a different experience of life in care. They also go on to lead all kinds of varied lives. The Care Leavers' Association (CLA) recognises that diversity and strives to change negative public perceptions and stereotypes of care leavers. Membership of the Care Leavers' Association is free and open to anyone, over the age of 18, who has spent time in care as a child.

They can tell you about specialist resources in your area that are not on this list.

They also offer specialist debt counselling.

Barrow: 01229 830367 -

South Lakeland: 01539 446464

Carlisle: 01228 633900 -

Workington: 01900 604735 -

There are also lots of local branches, to check if there is one nearer to you, you can go to

Safeguarding Hub: 03332401727, or email

Childline: 0800 1111

NSPCC: 08088 005000

CADAS Cumbria Drugs and Alcohol Services

Carlisle: 01228 544140

Workington: 01900 608498

Barrow: 01229 811111

Allerdale Borough Council, Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria, CA14 3YJ
Tel: 01900 702702

Borough of Barrow-in-Furness, Town Hall, Duke Street, Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 2LD
Tel: 01229 876543

Carlisle City Council, Civic Centre, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8QG
Tel: 01228 817200

Copeland Borough Council, The Copeland Centre, Catherine Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 7SJ
Tel: 0845 054 8600

Eden District Council, Town Hall, Penrith, CA11 7QF
Tel: 01768 817817

South Lakeland District Council, South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4DQ
Tel: 01539 733 333


Anyone who has been accepted onto the Cumbria Choice Housing Register is able to use this service. To apply to join the Housing Register you must be over 16 years of age.

You will need to complete an application form, which can be completed online or obtained from the offices of any partner landlord. Once accepted onto the Register you can 'Bid' for properties advertised on the website or in Newssheets available at the offices of all the housing providers and Local Authorities.

Before you can be considered for a property you will be asked to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of identity for all household members (e.g. passports, birth certificates)

  • Proof of current address (e.g. recent gas or electricity bill)

  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen(e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)

  • A reference from a current/previous landlord OR

  • A character reference

Cumbria Choice operates one allocations policy. This means that all the partner landlords will assess peoples' priority for housing using the same policy.

Barrow: 237 - 241 Dalton Road, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 1PQ
Tel: 01229 824052
Fax: 01229 871267

Carlisle: 28 Lowther Street, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8DH
Tel: 01228 596272

Kendal: Inspira, Unit 1, Meadowbank Business Park, Shap Road, Kendal, LA9 6NY
Tel: 01539 730045

Maryport: 12a Selby Terrace, Maryport, Cumbria, CA15 6NF
Tel: 01900 815928

Whitehaven: 1st Floor, Whitehaven Market Hall, Market Place, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7JG
Tel: 01946 695541

Workington: 213 Vulcans Lane, Workington, Cumbria, CA14 2BT
Tel: 01900 604674

Carlisle: 16-20 Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8DA
Tel: 01228 829700

Workington: 197-199 Vulcans Lane, Workington, CA14 2BW 
Tel: 01900 608800

Barrow in Furness: Michaelson Road, Barrow in Furness, LA14 1AE 
Tel: 01229 842700

The Samaritans are available 24 hours a day to provide confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress, despair or suicidal thoughts. Ring 08457999090 or email

Counselling, do you feel scared or Panicky in certain situations? Or think you might want to talk to someone to work stuff out? Go to your GP they can make a referral for you for counselling locally to agencies such as 'First Step' or 'Safety Net'.

If you think you need emergency help NOW, go to your local Hospital Accident and Emergency department.

If you want advice about any aspect of yours or someone else's mental health you can contact:

MIND: 03001233393 or text 86463 or

CAMHS: Children and Young People's Services provide specialist and targeted services to promote the emotional and mental health and well being of children and young people in Cumbria, speak to your GP if you are under 18 but no longer in care, or SW or PA if you think they may be of help to you.

Rape Crisis: For women and girls affected by this issue, can go to or phone - 08088029999 daily 12-2.30pm and 7-9.30pm.

Survivors UK: For men (over 18) effected by any form of sexual violence, can go to or phone - 08451221201 - limited times.

Womens Aid: For women affected by domestic violence - 24hour advice line on 08082000247 or go to

Mens Advice Line: For men affected by domestic violence: 08088010327 or email:

Broken Rainbow: For LGBT people affected by domestic violence: 08009995428 or email:

Call the BBC radio one advice line on 0800 110100 for any questions regarding sex, sexually transmitted diseases or relationships.

London Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Switchboard: They provide free, confidential advice, information and support to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered communities throughout the uk. Tel: 03003300630 every day 10am-11pm.

UK: Once you are over 18 you have the right to apply for your original birth certificate; however tracing birth family can be a very complicated and emotional journey which we wouldn't recommend you do without support. For help or advice speak to your PA or, contact your local Children's Services Adoption Support team.

Adoption support Carlisle/Penrith: 01228 221528/221555 or 01768 812277.

Adoption support Allerdale and Copeland: 01900 706430 or 706472 or 706473

Adoption Support South Cumbria: 01524 713312 or 713031


Abroad: If you want to trace relatives in another country who you have lost contact with because of armed conflict, disaster or migration you can contact The British Red Cross, who run an international family tracing service.  For more information go to