Access Keys:

Information about admission to community and voluntary controlled junior schools

Skip main menu
If a community or voluntary controlled school is oversubscribed, places will be allocated using the oversubscription criteria contained in the Local Authority’s Admissions Policy.
No, a child's current school is not a factor in allocating places at community and voluntary controlled schools.

If your child was previously looked after, and you wish to be considered under category 1 of the Local Authority Admissions Policy, you will need to provide some evidence with your application. If your child was adopted, this will be a copy of the Adoption Order. If your child became subject to a Child Arrangements Order or Special Guardianship Order, you will need to provide copies of these. If you are unsure of what you need to do, or whether your child can be considered under this category, please contact the School Admissions and Appeals Team.

If a school is oversubscribed, the address where the child normally lives will be used in the allocation process. It is not possible to use an alternative address such as the address of your child’s grandparents or child minder. In some cases, for example where shared parental living
arrangements are in place, a child’s address may be difficult to decide. In these circumstances, the address used for child benefit purposes, (i.e. the address for the parent claiming the child benefit) will be used. There are no exceptions to this rule. Residency at a particular address is a key factor
in allocating places at oversubscribed schools. If we offer a school place and then discover that the offer was made on the basis of fraudulent or misleading information (for example, a false claim to be living at an address), we are likely to withdraw the offer of a place.

If you are about to move house or think you may do so in the near future, you must contact us and tell us the address that you will be moving to. For your application to be considered on the basis of your new address you will need to be able to provide evidence of your move – stating an intention to move to an area will not be enough.

Once you have completed the purchase, or have a signed tenancy agreement for the new property, you must submit this evidence to the Local Authority as soon as possible. If you cannot provide the evidence required, or it is not received until after 21 February 2015, we will not be able to take into account your circumstances during the initial allocation process. However, we will be able to use it at a later stage, for example on reallocation day. Without this evidence, it is unlikely that it would be possible to make an allocation to an oversubscribed school on the basis of a new address. A temporary move, for example, to live with family, would not normally be considered, as the Local
Authority would have to be satisfied that there is a long-term intention to remain at a particular address. You should keep the School Admissions and Appeals Team informed of the progress with your move. This is your responsibility; it could affect the offer of a place at one of your preferred schools.

Siblings of children attending their catchment area school have a higher priority for admission when places are allocated at oversubscribed community and voluntary controlled schools. If you choose a junior or primary school other than your catchment area school, places may not be available for your younger children as catchment children will have higher priority.

If your child does not get a place in the main allocation or reallocation process, they will continue to be considered for any places which may become available until the end of the Autumn term 2015. If you still want your child to be considered for any vacancies in community or voluntary controlled schools from the start of the spring term onwards (i.e. from 5 January 2016), you should contact the School Admissions and Appeals Team to put your child’s name on a waiting list.

From 5 January 2016, only children on the waiting list will be considered. Vacancies will always be allocated by applying the Admissions Policy. Length of time on the waiting list will not be a factor.

Unfortunately, a small number of parents each year try to secure a place for their child by either providing false information or withholding relevant information on residency. Every place secured on the basis of false information potentially deprives another child of their rightful place, and the LA takes allegations of falsified addresses very seriously.

All allegations will be investigated. Offers made on the basis of false or misleading information will be withdrawn, as they have been in previous years.

The LA will, as necessary, seek independent verification of your child’s address, or of any other information provided on the application form. LA officers may visit the address given as the child’s residence in order to verify that he/she lives at that address.

This process may happen before or after places have been allocated.