Adult Social Care - Information and advice

Getting access to good quality information and advice is vital to getting the most out of life, staying healthy and remaining independent for longer.  Some people just need to know what is available to them in their local area.  Leaflets, directories, information providers and the internet can help with this. Others need advice and the opportunity to discuss their situation with someone with the time and knowledge to talk through the options and help them make choices.

The Care Act says information and advice should be available to the whole population and about a wide range of topics, not just care and support. This should focus on helping people get access to the care and support they need.  We work closely with the many organisations in Cumbria who provide information and advice to ensure this is available to people when they need it. Information and advice is available from:

  • the Prison Information Service.

You may also find useful information through:

  • local district council housing departments and housing associations; 
  • health services such as your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, NHS 111 helpline or NHS Choices website
  • voluntary organisations and charities like Age UK, Citizen's Advice Bureau, Alzheimer's Society, Mind and Mencap; and 
  • Citizens Advice consumer service 03454 04 05 06
Advocacy helps people to express their views and exercise their rights. Advocates work alongside people supporting them to:
  • explore options and choices
  • share feelings and wishes
  • access information and services that may be able to help

Advocacy is a free, independent of health and social care services and confidential

Care and support in England is changing.   The Care Act aims to help to make care and support more consistent across the country. Phase 1 of the Act was introduced in April 2015, with phase 2 of the Act introducing further changes in April 2020 as directed by central government.

The Care Act