Adult Social Care - Housing with care and support

If you need, or are likely to need, long term support, you will have an assessment of need from one of our practitioners.  This will help us decide if you are eligible for support from us under nationally agreed eligibility criteria.

If your assessment says you need long term support, you will receive a personal budget from us.  This is the amount of money used to arrange your support.  We will encourage you to decide how your personal budget should be spent.  We will aim to offer you as much choice as possible on how your needs can be met.

You can ask us to arrange services on your behalf or you can ask to receive part, or all, of your personal budget, as a direct payment.  A direct payment is money we give you to enable you to arrange the support you need.  A direct payment gives you full control of who provides your support and when.  If you choose not to have a direct payment, you will still have some control over your support through your practitioner.

We may ask you to contribute towards your personal budget, that is, the cost of your support.  We will arrange this through a financial assessment to see how much you can afford.  If you choose to pay for all of your support yourself, we can still assess your needs and help you set up the support you need.

Feeling comfortable where you live can have a big impact on your quality of life.  At some point in your life, you are likely to consider moving home.  This might be because:

  • you are thinking of moving from your family home to live independently for the first time;
  • you are finding your current house difficult to manage and would like to downsize or move to a new area;
  • you have an illness or disability which means that you find it difficult to remain living independently;
  • your carer who looks after you is no longer able to do this; or
  • your family are worried about you living at home.

When considering where to live, here are some things that you might want to think about.

Staying at home

You might be able to stay living in the same home with some support; for example:

  • Reablement may help you regain some independence following illness or injury, or help you learn new tasks following the loss of a carer
  • Personal care may help you do things around your home
  • Equipment or adaptations may make your home easier to use.

Move to more suitable housing

When looking for a different property, there are options to rent or buy.  Location is very important, for example, to be near to family, friends and/or local amenities.  You might be looking for a smaller property which is easier to manage, or perhaps one on a single level, particularly if using stairs is an issue for you.  There are retirement housing and park houses to rent or buy which are specifically targeted at older people.

1.  Sheltered housing

This provides smaller, more manageable housing for older people, often including a call bell or alarm with a manager or warden available to respond in emergencies.

2.  Extra care housing

This provides similar accommodation to sheltered housing but includes a team of flexible care staff on site to provide additional support.  The care staff can help with personal care, domestic chores and social activities.  If needed, they can provide help at night too.  Extra care housing can be an option for people of all ages.  The emphasis of extra care is on independence and can provide an alternative to residential care for many people who value having 'their own front door'.

Extra Care Housing and Supported Living website

3.  Residential homes and nursing homes

Residential homes provide accommodation, meals and care for people needing a significant level of personal care which cannot be provided in their own home.  Nursing homes provide residential care plus nursing care 24 hours a day from a qualified nurse.

The decision to move into a residential or nursing care home should only be made when all other options for remaining at home have been considered and tried.

4.  Supported living

Younger people wanting to move on from the family home may want to consider supported living.  This provides people with their own tenancy in a shared house with two to four other people and an on-site support team who can help with personal care, daily living tasks and accessing the community.

Extra Care Housing and Supported Living website

There are many types of residential care homes available.  The term 'care home' is used to mean any home that is registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to provide a service.  It includes local authority homes and independent homes, which may provide nursing care as well as personal care.  These are all inspected and monitored by the CQC based on national standards.   
Before making any final decision about moving into a care home, it is important to establish whether this is the best way of meeting your needs. The majority of older people do not require permanent care in a care home and it may be that your, or your relative's, needs could be met in another way, or by a combination of other kinds of assistance.

Care Homes in Cumbria
You can 'Find Your Nearest Care Home' in Cumbria on our website or you can search yourself on the Cumbria on the Cumbria Support Directory.

In Cumbria the term 'extra care' housing is used to describe housing developments that comprise self-contained homes with design features and support services to enable people to self-care and continue to live independently.  Whilst they are primarily for older people some may support younger people with disabilities.

The 'extra' in extra care housing is generally recognised to be access to care services that can:

  • Respond quickly to residents changing needs

  • Provide unplanned care as and when required in addition to planned care

  • Provide an emergency response.

People who live in Extra Care housing have their own self-contained homes - usually with a lounge, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom and access to care staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are also communal facilities and activities available.

For many people, Extra Care housing is the ideal solution as it means that they live in a home of their own, can stay together as a couple even with different levels of need, live as part of a supportive environment, in a location situated in the heart of the local community, but with the added reassurance that help is at hand. Extra Care housing allows people to move out of houses, where they are finding it difficult to cope, into a home where they can be secure and live independently. In some situations Extra Care Housing also allows people to move out of residential care and return to independent living. 

Supported Living accommodation also means living in your own home, whether as a homeowner or more often as a tenant. This model may be delivered on a range of scales from supporting an individual in a single property to a number of individuals as part of a Supported Living scheme. Supported Living enables people to move out of a family home or residential care setting into a safe environment with appropriate space and facilities.

Extra Care Housing and Supported Living website