A religious marriage

Church of England or Church in Wales

 If you wish to be married in the Church of England or Church in Wales - and generally you will be able to do so only if you or your partner live in the parish - you should first speak to the Vicar.  If he/she agrees to marry you he/she will arrange for the banns to be called on three Sundays before the day of your ceremony or for a common licence to be issued.  The marriage will also need to be registered by the Vicar or Priest.  There is usually no need to involve the local Superintendent Registrar, unless the Vicar or Priest is unable to call the banns - this would usually be because of divorce or residency.

Other places of Religious worship

 If you wish to marry by religious ceremony other than in the Church of England or Church in Wales you should first arrange to see the minister or other person in charge of marriages at the building.  However, the Church or religious building in question must normally be in the registration district where you or your partner live.  It will also be necessary for both of you to give formal notice of your marriage to the Superintendent Registrar of the district(s) where you live.  

A Registrar may also need to be booked from the Register Office in order to register the marriage.

Please contact us to discuss you requirements.

 Email:   registrationservice@cumbria.gov.uk

Telephone: 0300 303 2472

 We recommend using the Email as the telephone lines are very busy.