Street furniture

Salt bin

Responsibility for provision and maintenance of street furniture is shared between Cumbria County Council, district councils and parish councils. Cumbria County Council is responsible for: 

  • most illuminated and non-illuminated signs and bollards
  • traffic signals and variable message signs 
  • highway fencing
  • guard railings and walls (but not privately owned)
  • barriers
  • salt bins
  • traffic counter boxes      

District, town and parish councils also have powers to place certain items on the highway. Items which could cause an obstruction or a hazard, whether permanent or temporary, also require consent by obtaining a licence from the county council. These items include: 

  • litter and dog bins
  • roadside seats
  • street name signs 
  • planters and baskets 
  • notice boards 
  • monuments 
  • some bus shelters (not adshel)     

Statutory undertakers (water, gas, electricity and telephone companies) are also permitted to place equipment on the highway:

  • telephone/electricity poles and cabinets 
  • mobile phone masts 
  • fire hydrants 
  • stop valve markers     

Temporary traffic signals and traffic management around road works sites are the responsibility of the contractor carrying out the work. Every site should display a board with the contractors details and 24 hours contact number. 

The provision of new or replacement street furniture represents an opportunity for local authorities to define and enhance the historic character of a conservation area. Inappropriate street furniture and a proliferation of signs and general clutter detract from the character of a conservation area.