Demonstrations and parades

If you are organizing a special event which requires a road to be closed to the general public, then a temporary road closure will be required.   This can only be granted with the agreement of the police as they require a traffic regulation order.

As the event organizer, you will have to cover all costs involved for both the closure and diversion signing.   A good period of notice is required - at least six weeks and for some events up to three months may be needed. Large events may require even longer.

Usually roads that are closed for sporting events can only be closed once a year without the consent of The Secretary of State.

Demonstrations cannot be dealt with by the Council and for these events the police must be contacted so that they can make the appropriate arrangements.

Please contact us if you are planning a demonstration or parade and need to get permission.