School crossing patrols

Why do we have School Crossing Patrols (SCP's)?

The provision of school crossing patrols is a service, which local authorities can choose to make available to help anyone cross the road safely at peak traffic times. Authorised crossing sites were traditionally located near a school and prior to the Transport Act 2000, the service was aimed exclusively at school children, which explains the name. This service is not a statutory requirement and parents/ carers remain responsible for the safety of their child(ren), travelling to and from school. 

Additionally, Cumbria County Council, schools and the Police have no legal obligation to provide cover in the absence of a SCP, who may be off sick, for example. However neighbouring schools are always promptly informed if a crossing site becomes unmanned so that parents can be advised.   

The School Crossing Patrol Service (SCPS) in Cumbria employs part-time patrols, who work at 93 sites throughout the county.

SCPs are legally empowered to stop vehicles when wearing the correct uniform and using the approved 'lollipop' stick.

Who is responsible for the service?

Area Support commission Orion to deliver the service, and people can contact their Area Support Teams direct

How does a crossing location qualify for a patrol?

The decision on whether a crossing location qualifies for a patrol is made by the county council's local committees. A request for a new crossing patrol can be made to the area support manager for the county council's local committee, who will then organise an assessment of the crossing location. This assessment involves undertaking a survey of the number of vehicles on the road and pedestrians at peak traffic times. The results of this survey are then compared to nationally agreed criteria.
The assessment takes into account local factors such as:

Road/footpath width
Vehicle speed
Site visibility
Age of children crossing the road
Child pedestrian accident data
Bus stops in the vicinity of the crossing
Road junctions

If the criteria are met and the appointment of a SCP is approved by the local committee, then a crossing patroller will be recruited as soon as possible.

What can be done if the crossing location does not meet the criteria?

A request for a new assessment can be made twelve months after the initial survey or sooner, if there have been any significant changes. 

Our SCP site is vacant, so who is responsible for children getting to school?

The School Crossing Patroller is on duty to assist   anyone across the road at the agreed times of duty.
We endeavour to give advance warning to neighbouring schools, if a SCP cannot be on duty, so that parents can make alternative arrangements for their child's journey.  If the SCP is absent at short notice, we will do everything possible to find cover.

School Crossing Patrol vacancies

Our School Crossing Patrol teams are members of their local community who enjoy helping others to get safely to their destination and often this means their own children as well.

If you are interested in joining our team of dedicated School Crossing Patrols then read here to find out more.

What sort of people become a School Crossing Patroller? 

Community-minded people who are interested in helping others and working with the public. They should typically be available for two half hour sessions per day. 'Job share' applications are also considered. 

How do I become a School Crossing Patroller and what is involved? 

An applicant will be required to attend an interview, complete an Occupational Health Check and have a Criminal Record Bureau check before they can be appointed. Once these have been cleared as satisfactory, we will contact the applicant to arrange a start date. 

Do I get a uniform, am I trained and how much will I be paid?

An approved coat, hat and crossing stick (lollipop stick) is issued and training is provided by a local service co-ordinator who gives ongoing support with visits to the site, whilst patrols are on duty. Staff are paid weekly and are required to work during school term time only.

Patrols are paid £6.08 per hour (2007/8) and typically work between 5 and 10 hours per week depending on the location. Patrols are eligible to join the Local Government Pension Scheme. 

To inquire about existing vacancies please visit the job opportunities section of our website or call us on 01228 607607.