Community Minibus Group Hire

Community Minibus Group Hire

Another way public transport problems in rural areas can be overcome is through Community Minibus sharing schemes.  These schemes help groups and organisations within the community to have accessible and affordable vehicles, which can be either on a self-drive basis or with a driver supplied. 

The sharing scheme is only open to non-profit making groups or organisations and they must be involved in one or more of the following activities: 

  • Social welfare
  • Education
  • Religion
  • Recreation
  • Other activities to benefit the community               

The scheme is not open to groups or organisations of a commercial or profit-making nature, nor is it open to members of the general public acting outside of the criteria above. 

If you are part of a local community group that has a transport need, please contact Cumbria Community Transport using the details below:


  • Head Office - Dave Drinkald, Transport Manager 01228 402811 
  • Carlisle Office - Colin Bannister, Transport Co-ordinator 01228 402811 
  • Eden Office - Colin Bannister, Transport Co-ordinator 01768 721207 
  • Allerdale and Copeland Office - Helen Sullivan, Transport Co-ordinator 01946 812777 
  • South Lakes Office - Lyn Howarth, Transport Co-ordinator 01539 727001    

Cumbria Community Transport website

Community Wheels is here!

Cumbria County Council was allocated £ 288,000 by the Department for Transport earlier in 2012-2013 as part of a second nationwide settlement of "Community Transport Transitional Funding" to enhance community transport across the country. 

In Cumbria this funding is being used by the County Council to develop a sustainable transport solution.  6 accessible Community Minibuses have been purchased to be used to provide regular transport in areas where scheduled bus services are not sustainable or where users of other Council community transport services could be more efficiently transported together. 

For more information see out Community Wheels webpage:      

Volunteering Opportunities

If you have a full UK driving licence with D1 entitlement and enjoy driving and meeting people, then driving community minibuses is a great way to get out and about in your spare time. Basic training is provided and Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme (MiDAS) is also available. All volunteer expenses are reimbursed.


For more information on the Community Wheels scheme, please use the link below:

 Title  Date  Size
14/03/2016 2217k

Community Minibuses

An alternative way public transport problems in rural areas can be overcome is through the County Council working together with community transport organisations through the action and sustained effort of volunteers.  These schemes provide minibus services within the community to have accessible and affordable transport with a driver supplied. 


The Fellrunner provides a network of scheduled bus services in the Eden and Lyvennet Valleys.

For more information, please contact:

Tel: 07734 529432

Muncaster Microbus

Muncaster Microbus provides a scheduled bus service.  Operating from Bootle, Eskdale, Wasdale, Holmrook, Seascale and Gosforth for regular weekly trips to Whitehaven on Tuesdays and Thursdays and day trips every other Saturday.  One Wednesday a month there is a trip to Workington or Cockermouth.

For more information, please contact:

Tel: 01229 717229


Northern Fells

Northern Fells run a demand responsive accessible minibus for those without their own transport in the parishes of Boltons, Caldbeck, Castle, Sowerby, Ireby with Uldale, Mungrisdale, Sebergham and Welton and Westward and Rosley.

For more information, please contact:

Tel: 016974 78787


Western Dales

Western Dales Bus provides community transport for the Western Dales and Lune Valley. Buses currently run between Dent, Sedbergh and Kendal on Wednesdays and Saturdays all year round.

For more information, please contact:

Tel: 015396 20504


Border Rambler Bus

Border Rambler Bus runs a service twice weekly on Tuesdays and Fridays to villages along the A689 from Brampton to Carlisle; Wednesdays a service to the Roman Army Museum from Brampton along Hadrians Wall Footpath followed periodically by a school holiday only service from Brampton to Hallbankgate; and on Thursdays a route from Brampton to Carlisle via Hethersgill and Scaleby.

For more information, please contact:


For more information, on any of the above schemes or are you interested in helping organise a community minibus in your local area? please contact:

Tel: 07788 396194



Section 19 Permits

Cumbria County Council is notifying all schools, organisations or charities, who are Section 19 Permit holders, the requirement to ensure the permit has been replaced.  From April 2014 the old style permits are no longer valid.

Cumbria County Council issues standard Section 19 Permits as a Governing Body.  Please note that we do not issue large bus permits (17 or more passenger seats) - these can only be issued by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

To find out more information on Section 19 Permits, please visit VOSA's website

To apply for a new permit, please complete the form below and send to the address below.  Please note that the charge is £ 8 per permit (there is no charge for replacement permits) and cheques are to be made payable to Cumbria County Council or you can pay over the phone using the contact telephone numbers below.

Please also include details of who is the owner of the vehicle and how many vehicles the organisation has.

Section 19 Permit link

If you need a replacement permit if yours is lost or faded, please contact the Transport Services Team:


Voluntary Transport Officer

Economy and Highways Services | Cumbria County Council

Parkhouse Building | Baron Way | Kingmoor Business Park | Carlisle | Cumbria | CA6 4SJ


m: 07788 396194

t: 0333 240 69 65 (option 5)