Disabled Person`s Bus Pass

You may qualify for a Disabled Person's NoWcard if you:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are severely or profoundly deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a long term disability or injury which seriously impairs the ability to walk
  • are without the long-term use of both arms
  • have a learning disability that is a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • would, if applied for a driving licence, be refused on the grounds of physical fitness.

Disability guidance from the Department of Transport

Companion Pass

If you have a Disabled Person's Pass and cannot travel without help, then a companion will be able to travel with you free of charge:

  • your companion is only able to travel at the same time as you within the county's boundary; outside of the county your companion will need to purchase a ticket
  • a companion form can be requested at the same time as you apply for a Disabled Person's Pass.

24/7 Pass

If you have a Disabled Person's Pass and need to travel before 9.30am or after 11pm, this scheme allows you to do that if it will help you access work (including unpaid work), training or day care services.

To qualify you will need to complete the 24/7 Disability NoWcard supplementary application form (PDF 209kb) and provide one of the following: 

  • proof of work - a copy of a current pay slip, a letter from your place of work confirming you work there, or the name and address of your place of work with the telephone number of someone we can contact
  • if self-employed copies of pages 1 and 8 of your latest Tax Return, or the name and telephone of a client or supplier
  • name and address of your training establishment, including your course leader or tutor and their telephone number
  • name and address of your day care service facility, including the telephone number.

A 24/7 form can be requested at the same time as you apply for a Disabled Person's Pass, or collect one from the following libraries:

or the Local Links office in:

or Coronation Hall in Ulverston.

You can apply by visiting a library in:

or the Local Links office in:

or Coronation Hall in Ulverston.

You won't need to fill in a lengthy application form or take in a passport photo as the library staff will do this for you. Your NoWcard will be sent to your home address. 

Documents to take 

A - Proof of address - one of the following:

  • Council Tax bill
  • utility bill dated within the last 3 months
  • rent book or statement
  • bank statement dated within the last 3 months

B - Proof of identity and age - one of the following:

  • birth certificate
  • passport
  • driving licence

C - Evidence of disability - one or more of the following: 

  • blind registration form or card
  • letter from Social Services (learning disability)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) Mobility Component at the higher rate (valid for minimum of 12 months from date of application)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) 8 or more points under 'moving around' (valid for minimum of 12 months from date of application)
  • War Pension mobility supplement
  • blue badge (valid for minimum of 12 months from date of application)
  • letter or certificate from medical specialist or hospital
  • letter from Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), confirming that you have surrendered your licence due to physical fitness.

More information on disability evidence needed (PDF 63kb)

Cumbria County Council will make an assessment based on your individual circumstances.

If you can't access one of the above locations, you can download the Disabled Person's application form (PDF 139kb), complete and return it to: 

NoWcard Disability Application
Transport Services Team
Cumbria County Council
Parkhouse Building
Kingmoor Business Park

with a passport style photograph plus proof of your:

  • address 
  • age/identity 
  • disability

Please read the guidance notes below

Disabled Guidance Notes (45kb)   


In order to renew your pass you can either download and complete the form below and send it together with up to date proof of your disability and a new passport style photograph to the address given on the form. 

Application Form (41kb)


Alternatively,  you can go to your nearest main library and take up to date proof of your disability with you, library staff will forward the proof to the Transport Services Team and take a photograph of you if required. 

There is a £ 10.50 charge to replace your lost or damaged card. If your card has been stolen and you have got a police crime number, you won't be charged.

How to get a replacement pass:


If you have a credit or debit card and an email address you can order your replacement pass online. The replacement pass will be sent to the address held on our records for the pass holder. If this address has changed you should let us know.

(The online payment facility is only available to Cumbrian residents.)

By Telephone: 

Telephone: 01228 226720 (available 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday) - you will need a credit or debit card.

In Person: 

You can order a replacement bus pass by visiting your local library or local link:

By Post: 

You can apply in writing by sending your name, address and pass number along with a cheque for £ 10.50 (made payable to Cumbria County Council) to:

The ENCTS Assistant 
Transport Services Team 
Cumbria County Council 
Parkhouse Building, Kingmoor Business Park, 

If you have moved address:

If you have moved out of Cumbria:

If you move outside of Cumbria please return your NoWcard with a letter explaining that you have moved by post to FREEPOST NOWCARD.

If the NowCard holder has passed away:

Please return their NowCard with a letter saying that they have passed away by post to FREEPOST NOWCARD

If your disability details change:

If you have changed your name, you can:

  • continue to use your NoWcard until it expires then provide evidence of your new name, or
  • change your card if you want it to show your new name. 

You will need to take proof (Deed Poll or Marriage Certificate) to one of the following locations: