Ways to Welfare

Ways to welfare

From time to time anybody can find themselves in financial difficulty and in need of a helping hand.For some people, such support may have previously come in the form of a crisis loan or community care grant from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - both of which ended on 31 March 2013 under the Government's welfare reforms. In their place, the DWP has introduced short-term advances for people moving between or onto benefits, and interest free budgeting advances/loans for people in receipt of benefits for six months who experience emergency and unforeseen expenses. To see whether you qualify for DWP support go to gov.uk

There are also a range of additional support services and organisations that can help you when you need it the most - and also support you to prevent you finding yourself in such a situation in the future. If you reside in Cumbria, are aged 16 or over and facing hardship, contact the provider that most meets your needs for advice and support. Use the links on the left hand side to find the most appropriate support for you and your circumstances.