I've decided to move out... what are my options?

Having considered everything, if you still feel that moving out is your best or only option; please see a list of the different housing options available below:


 Title  Date  Size
3/01/2017 631k
3/01/2017 703k
3/01/2017 516k
3/01/2017 600k
3/01/2017 547k
3/01/2017 760k

Supported Accommodation is for vulnerable young people who have nowhere else to go and who would not be able to live on their own without support.

Supported Accommodation is for young people aged 16-24 who have nowhere else to live.  It offers accommodation, support and training as a package and young people need to get involved with the support offered, otherwise they can lose their accommodation.  This is a short-term solution to homelessness that allows people to live independently whilst teaching them independent living skills at the same time, such as cooking, cleaning, paying bills etc.  For more information on Supported Accommodation and costings in your area, please click here.

Usually people living in Supported Accommodation are allocated a Support Worker to help them get through their tenancy.  Tenancy training is also usually a part of the plan. You only stay in supported accommodation until you are ready to move on and your support worker will help you find the right accommodation for you.

If you succeed in your tenancy and decide to move on to a Council tenancy (provided you are over 18), your Band will be increased.  A "Band" means what level of priority you are on the Council tenancy list (A being highest priority, E being the lowest).

Homestays is a home environment for young people aged 16-25.  Young people stay in the homes of providers who provide support of 7 to 10 hours per week with a view to teaching independent living skills.  If you are interested in finding out more and about whether you may be eligible for a Homestays placement, check out the Homestays page.


You can also rent from a private landlord.  This usually requires one month rent in advance, and a deposit which is kept by the landlord in case of any damages until you move out.  You may be able to get some help with the deposit through the DiGS scheme.  Find details of your local Council office for more information on the Who to Contact page.


If you are single and claiming benefit, the most you are likely to be able to afford would be a flat share or house share.


Local newspapers and shops will often advertise flat shares or rooms for rent.  This can often be a cheaper option than living in your own place, but remember you will be sharing with other people and other people's annoyances and rules!


Council offices often have lists of local landlords that they work with. They are a good starting point for information.  Check out the Who to Contact page for contact details. 

The majority of accommodation comes unfurnished.  Would you be able to furnish it yourself?

It may be worth asking friends and family if they have any items that they could donate or, if you have money to buy furniture, checking out local furniture reclaim centres, you could grab a bargain.  Also check out the Preloved website or other local selling pages.  Moving out of home will also mean you are going to be responsible for your own washing, cooking and ironing.

Local Impact Furniture Services sell at a very reasonable price or donate to some people in need. 

There are lots of agencies that can help you, have a look at the useful contacts for your District/area to see what is available.

If you'd like some support with your situation get in touch with us.

Andrew Kennedy (Carlisle and Eden) on 07855 408488

Emmie Sutherland (Barrow and South Lakes) on 07825 313726

Helen Walker (Allerdale and Copeland) on 07825 340628

If we can't help, we may be able to put you in touch with someone who can.  Alternatively, if you are 18+, there are other support agencies available.  You can find contact details on the useful contacts page.