Household Waste Recycling Centre - Guides Lot, Grange-over-Sands

A new booking system is now in place to access the Grange over Sands Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) on Allithwaite Road.  

For other questions about the restrictions on access, opening, and vehicle types currently in place at Cumbria County Council's HWRCs please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions.

A booking system has been developed because the number of cars accessing the HWRC are causing long queues which is making it difficult for local residents and businesses to pass through the HWRC safely. The booking system will limit the number of vehicles accessing the site at any one time and help to maintain social distancing guidelines.

The quickest way is to book an appointment online.   You can call for an appointment. However due to the high number of calls we are receiving there may be some delays 0300 003 1118. 

  • You will be asked at what time you would like your booking. 
  • Please be aware slots are limited and you may not get your preferred time. 
  • Once a time is confirmed you will be asked for your name and the vehicle registration number you will be using to access the HWRC. 
  • Please make a note of your confirmation reference number. 
  • You will need to display the reference number on the windscreen of your vehicle.

Yes from the 14 September you will need to book a time slot. 

Please check the date on the annual permit to make sure it is valid before you visit the HWRC.  

We have had to change the way waste permits are issued. Find out more about the way permits are issued.

The quickest way to request a permit is to apply for a permit online . You can call for an appointment. However due to the high number of calls we are receiving there may be some delays 0300 003 1118. 

We are expecting a large number of waste permit applications. These will be processed as quickly as possible. We ask for your patience and understanding when applying for a waste permit. 

There is a booking system in place on Bousteads Grassing, Carlisle and Grange-over-sands HWRCs.

If you arrive at the HWRC and have not booked a time you will be asked to leave without disposing of your waste.

Book an appointment online this is the quickest way to book an appointment. You can call for an appointment. However due to the high number of calls we are receiving there may be some delays 0300 003 1118.

When you arrive on site there may be some queuing. Your name and vehicle registration will be checked by a member of staff.  Once it is confirmed that you have a valid booking you will be directed by the sites staff.  Please clearly display your booking reference number on a sheet of paper in your windscreen for the site staff to read. If you have a waste permit please make this available to the staff.

We will issue 3 bookings a week for each household to access Grange-over-Sands HWRC for vehicles which do not require a permit. If you require a permit for your vehicle you will only be allowed one visit a month.

Guides Lot
Allithwaite Road
Grange over Sands
LA11 7EN

Telephone: 015395 35033

Opening hours:  Thursday to Saturday 8am to 4pm

This site may be open late or close early during the winter months for health and safety reasons.

This site may close for container exchanges.

Image of materials accepted at Grange over Sands HWRC

  • Batteries (household)
  • Batteries (car)
  • Books
  • Cans and tins
  • Cardboard
  • CD's and DVD's
  • Chemicals eg weedkiller (please report to attendant when brought onto site)
  • Clothes and textiles mixed
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Fridges and freezers
  • Garden waste
  • Gas bottles
  • Glass bottles and jars mixed
  • General household waste
  • Hardcore and rubble
  • Large appliances
  • Newspapers and magazines
  • Paint and dry empty metal paint cans
  • Plastics
  • Scrap metal
  • Small appliances
  • TV's and monitors
  • Used engine oil
  • Wood and timber

Trade waste is not accepted at this recycling centre.

Asbestos still kills around 5000 workers each year.

Disposal of asbestos is best done by using a licensed contractor.

Small amounts of hard-bonded asbestos from residential property will be accepted at the following Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs): 

The maximum that will be accepted on any day is four sheets per visit, and up to 3 visits making a total of up to 12 sheets or bags in a short period of time (dimensions of sheets: to be no longer than 6ft due to skip size).  

All asbestos must be double wrapped/bagged and sealed prior to arriving at the site to prevent any loose fibres from escaping. Residents bringing asbestos are advised to call the site ahead of their visit to confirm if the site can accept the load as storage capacity for asbestos at the recycling centre is restricted so please contact the site you intend to use before you go. The contact details are available on the individual recycling centre's page

Do not break up asbestos sheets as this could release fibres which are a hazard to health.

Before starting any work that may disturb asbestos, you must ensure that you have had the correct level of information:

If you need to deal with more than a few sheets of hard-bonded asbestos or any fibrous asbestos you should contact a specialist contractor. If you need advice about dealing with asbestos on your own residential property please contact your local district council.  

We do not advise that anyone should break up their asbestos and if the waste exceeds the limits of what can be accepted at the HWRC then please telephone the helpline 0300 003 1118.

What is hazardous waste?

Hazardous waste is any form of waste which can harm human health or the environment, or is difficult to handle. Each of the items on the list below is now classed as hazardous waste:

  • All asbestos containing wastes
  • End of life vehicles
  • Fluorescent light tube
  • Fridges and freezers
  • Infectious clinical wastes
  • Lead acid batteries
  • TV and computer monitors
  • Waste oils

It is not permissible to dispose of hazardous and non-hazardous waste together in landfill.

What does this mean to me?

For household waste, the regulations simply mean that you must separate out any hazardous waste from your general household waste before taking it to your local household waste recycling centre. 

Any waste items found on the hazardous waste list above and any other hazardous materials such as paint, thinners and garden and household chemicals must not be placed in general waste skips at these sites, but handed to an attendant. If you are unsure about any of your waste items them please ask at the recycling centre.

Your local district or borough council may be able to collect your hazardous waste - to find out if this service is available, please contact your local district or borough council.

Private waste contractors will deal with hazardous and special waste arising from a trade or business. Special precautions may be needed when disposing of and moving hazardous waste such as asbestos.

Hazardous waste not accepted at household waste recycling centres includes:

Acetylene is a highly reactive, unstable gas that can suddenly decompose. This creates a significant risk of fire and/or explosion, which would quickly spread to other areas of the site. Acetylene has no household use, however should you as a householder need to dispose of acetylene please contact Renewi Cumbria on 0845 450 3990.

Boat flares
Boat flares are not considered to be household waste. The Maritime and Coastguard Agency currently provide storage facilities at 18 locations around the UK. Unfortunately Cumbria doesn't have a storage facility for boat flares. Please contact Colin Brown for further information (Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre on 0151 931 3341 or 01519 316625).

Car air bags
Car air bags are explosive devices along with seat belt pre-tensioners. These are trade waste items covered by the End of Life Vehicles Directive (ELV). Dismantling should only be done at a premises permitted under ELV for example Scrap Yards.

Fireworks could be classed as household waste but only in small quantities and can be taken to your local Recycling Centres. Larger quantities would be classed as commercial waste. For larger quantities, please be advised to contact the merchandiser for advice on disposal.

The Recycle for Cumbria A to Z of materials provides advice on what you can do to reduce, reuse or recycle many different items.